Bottle feeding is a key purchase at the time of your baby's arrival if you chose this baby feeding method. Which baby bottle to choose? Glass, plastic, silicone? What capacity? And the pacifiers? Take advantage of our advice.
What material for his bottle, glass or plastic?
- Glass. Unscented and odorless, the glass has been proven to be successful. This natural and easy-to-clean material withstands washing and high thermal amplitudes. The glass baby bottle is also 100% recyclable. Two caveats: its tendency to break and its relative heaviness.
- Since June 23, 2010, the manufacture of plastic baby bottles containing Bisphenol A is prohibited in France, so be reassured if you opt for this solution.
- Polyethersulfone (PES). Recognizable by its honey color, this resin is resistant to high temperatures, repeated use and sterilization. Hence its high price too: from 9 to 13 € depending on the model.
- Made of polypropylene (PP). This opaque plastic may retain traces of odor or stain. Advantage: its cost is lower than the SEP.
- In silicone. Patented by Nûby, Soft Flex silicone is extremely soft, light and pleasant to the touch. Your baby can suck almost like breast.
Which capacity to choose?
- 30 ml: for taking medication
- Between 90 to 120 ml: for the very first weeks of baby, then for water, fruit juice and first meals
- Between 120 to 150 ml: for the first months of baby, then for water and snacks
- Between 240 and 260 ml: for babies from 3 to 9 months
- Beyond 300 ml: for babies after 1 year or very greedy
What shape for her baby bottle?
There are several forms for baby bottles. When choosing, take into account the grip and ease of cleaning.
- The cylindrical bottle: classic, it exists with a wide neck to fill and clean it easily, or a narrower neck.
- The triangular bottle: practical, it facilitates handling and prevents the bottle from rolling if it falls.
- The angled bottle: his head is tilted at 30 ° so that the pacifier is always full of milk. Baby thus swallows less air, which helps to avoid regurgitation and colic. Only drawback: it is difficult to clean.
- The ergonomic bottle : it exists in different forms, often fun, studied to be easily taken in hand by the baby. He is not very easy to clean.