Your child 5-11 years

His teeth grow badly

His teeth grow badly

We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

Your child's teeth are pushing too far, they are reluctant to replace their milk jugs or do not seem to grind the food properly ... His teething worries you and may embarrass him. Case by case, the solution of Dr. Magalie Gamet-Gaillard, orthodontist.

He has his teeth forward

  • At this period of mixed dentition, where milk teeth and definitive coexist, the growth of the lower and upper jaws can be shifted. This defect, incoordination of growth, can cause an imbalance of the dentition. Early treatment can fix it easily.

What has to be done

  • Consult an orthodontist qualified in dentofacial orthopedics. After a clinical assessment, radiographic and study fingerprinting of his jaws, he will define the treatment best suited to offset the jaws. Most often, a camera worn at night for nine to twelve months.
  • What to tell him. "These devices will help you have beautiful teeth, you must not forget to wear them, it's your job, mine is to encourage you by reminding you every night."

He snores at night

  • Too narrow a palate can explain nocturnal snoring, pronunciation flaws or chewing - if your child swallows food all round without chewing! By correcting and increasing the width of the palate, these disturbances can be improved.

What has to be done

  • Consult without hesitation. Early treatment promotes easy correction. The device, usually a false palace, to wear for an average of six months, will expand the size of the palace. Encourage your child. If you explain to him the usefulness of the treatment, he will know how to cooperate.
  • What to tell him. "This device will relieve your little worries.For two days, you may feel an embarrassment, but after you forget it!"

He has a tooth that does not grow back

  • It happens that a baby tooth is not replaced by its final counterpart, either because it does not exist (agenesis), or because other teeth block its evolution and prevent it from going out.

What has to be done

  • In this case, the device is not systematic. It's case by case. The orthodontist can refer you to an oral surgeon to extract the supernumerary teeth or to define a treatment to prepare the installation of a dental implant, replacing the missing tooth, in a few years.
  • What to tell him. "The surgeon will remove the teeth that are useless to release the one you need!"

Frédérique Odasso with Dr. Magalie Gamet-Gaillard, is orthodontist, qualified dentist in dentofacial orthopedics